Saxon Algebra 1/2
This class is available as an AYOP (At Your Own Pace) class every year. Although it is not guaranteed, we are often able to offer at least one live session. We do need to have the volunteer teachers step up in order to offer it.
As with all of the math classes, please enroll in each AYOP class quarter immediately prior to starting work in the course. That will help so you get the latest version of the course with the latest feature updates and tech fixes.
- Each Problem Set has an online answer entry with immediate scoring. Students can immediately try again on a question by question basis.
- The Weekly Quiz too has an input for answers that are immediately scored by the computer. This one is an assessment though and so only one attempt is allowed.If students have a technical issue, they can contact the instructor.
- PLEASE NOTE: This course has some instruction videos, but they are not yet complete for the entire course. Over half the lesson videos are still missing. You will need to use the sample problems in the book, teach the lessons yourself, or use other resources for videos. Many families use things like Nicole the Math Lady .com subscriptions, DIVE or Saxon Teacher CDs, Khan Academy videos, or other resources. Although we have been trying to get these videos built for the last five years, there have just been too many other fires to put out to fix technical issues and other admin tasks. Only a few builders have the expensive software for the videos, and there has just not been enough volunteer time available to get them completed. Unfortunately, this is not on our immediate to do list. We do not expect videos to be completed for this year.
Approximately 7-9th, but varies by student.
NOTE: Most students will take EITHER Saxon 87 OR Saxon Algebra 1/2, but not both. We do not yet have Saxon 87 built for VHSG, although it is in the plans for future years. It will not be done this year. It depends on how many volunteers step up to help on the math upgrades when we will be able to move Saxon 87 into active development.
Saxon 87 offers more review on basic arithmetic. If your student is still struggling with math, it may be best to use Saxon 87 to firm up the basics. Algebra 1/2 moves faster into introductory Algebra. Both courses are acceptable to use as a pre-algebra course prior to using Algebra.
A placement test is given below to help you determine where to place your student.
Saxon Algebra 1/2 Student Text - Third Edition (2nd will work, although course was built with 3rd)
Optional: Solutions Manual
You MUST own the student text to take this course. It is required to meet copyright agreements with the publisher. You can often find used copies.
We want you to be successful in this course. Please use the following to find the best fit.
- Take and passed Saxon 76 course (recommended 80% or better) OR pass a Saxon Placement Test recommending placement in this course.
- Link to Saxon Placement Test
- Own a copy of the Saxon Algebra 1/2 Student Text (Third Edition recommended)
The online homework assignments draw questions from a large poole of question of similar type. Students get immediate feedback as they work the problem both for specific answers that they try as well as general feedback hints. The last hint points them toward ways too get live help if they need it. Finished attempts also offer the option to redo a another problem from the same question poole allowing lots of extra practice on problem types where the students feels they need extra practice. Multiple attempts are allowed but new questions are given on the new attempt instead of the same problem over and over.
Weekly tests have limited attempts to provide a true assessment of skills. If students are not satisfied with their first attempt, they may try one more time, but there will be no additional resets. The score will be an average between the two attempts. (The second test will have different questions.) Feedback is given after the test is completed.
Open office hours are available for students that need help. Hours are posted on the home page and students get a link on their last hint that helps them know how to get extra help when they need it.