Saxon Math 76
This class is available as an AYOP (At Your Own Pace) class every year. This course does not yet have slides built for a live class and is going through a course restructure. It is unlikely it will be completed in time to offer it as a live class for the 2019-20 school year.
As with all of the math classes, please enroll in each AYOP class quarter immediately prior to starting work in the course. That will help so you get the latest version of the course with the latest feature updates and tech fixes.
- Each Problem Set has an online answer entry with immediate scoring. Students can immediately try again on a question by question basis.
- The Weekly Quiz too has an input for answers that are immediately scored by the computer. This one is an assessment though and so only one attempt is allowed.If students have a technical issue, they can contact the instructor.
- PLEASE NOTE: This course has some instruction videos, but they are not yet complete for the entire course. Over half the lesson videos are still missing. You will need to use the sample problems in the book, teach the lessons yourself, or use other resources for videos. Many families use things like Nicole the Math Lady .com subscriptions, DIVE or Saxon Teacher CDs, Khan Academy videos, or other resources. Although we have been trying to get these videos built for the last five years, there have just been too many other fires to put out to fix technical issues and other admin tasks. Only a few builders have the expensive software for the videos, and there has just not been enough volunteer time available to get them completed. Unfortunately, this is not on our immediate to do list. We do not expect videos to be completed for this year.
Approximately 6-7th grade, but varies by student.
Saxon Algebra 76 Student Text - Third Edition (2nd will work, although course was built with 3rd)
You MUST own the student text to take this course. It is required to meet copyright agreements with the publisher. You can often find used copies.
We want you to be successful in this course. Please use the following to find the best fit.
- Take and passed Saxon 65 course (recommended 80% or better) OR pass a Saxon Placement Test recommending placement in this course.
- Link to Saxon Placement Test
- Own a copy of the Saxon Algebra 1/2 Student Text (Third Edition recommended)
The online homework assignments draw questions from a large poole of question of similar type. Finished attempts also offer the option to redo a another problem from the same question poole allowing lots of extra practice on problem types where the students feels they need extra practice. Multiple attempts are allowed but new questions are given on the new attempt instead of the same problem over and over.
Weekly tests have limited attempts to provide a true assessment of skills. If students are not satisfied with their first attempt, they may try one more time, but there will be no additional resets. The score will be an average between the two attempts. (The second test will have different questions.) Feedback is given after the test is completed.
Open office hours are available for students that need help. Hours are posted on the home page and students get a link on their last hint that helps them know how to get extra help when they need it.